Hey, loc fam!
Loc extensions have become one of the most popular natural hair styling options, and we love to see it. Starter locs are typically short, and we know most people can't wait for their locs to grow long and healthy. If you're starting your loc journey, you may have been thinking about adding human hair extensions to your locs. This is an excellent option for anyone who does not like the "starter loc" phase. We celebrate locs at every length, but we also understand the importance of having options at every stage of your loc journey.
Extensions add volume and length to your locs and make it easier to achieve the look you desire. If you are transitioning to natural with your locs, extensions are an excellent way for you to keep your hair without cutting all of the relaxed ends off before you're ready. Locs with extensions have more styling options.
If you choose to add hair for loc extensions, you may need a professional to install the extensions depending upon your DIY experience.
Human hair vs. Synthetic hair
Human Hair Extensions
- Human hair extensions are great if you don't want to start with shorter locs. You have the option of installing longer locs with human hair that matches your natural texture.
- Human hair extensions act just like your natural hair, and they don't have to be removed.
- They look more natural
- They don't cause thinning or alopecia to the hair
- Natural undyed black locs be bleached and dyed
Synthetic Hair Extensions
- They're less expensive than human hair locs
- Synthetic locs don't last as long as human hair
- Comes in various colors without having to dye the hair. Synthetic hair cannot be dyed.
- Much heavier than locs made of real human hair
Ultimately, if you want to get loc extensions, you should go for it! Just make sure you educate yourself on the process. Your extensions will be loc'd, and your roots will need to go through the loc process. You should be able to wash all types of dreadlock extensions, but we would advise you to ask the stylist that installs them for you on the best way to clean them without damaging them.
Another essential thing to note is the part to loc ratio. If parts are too small, they can cause thinning and breakage. A licensed loctician should be able to ensure that your loc to part ratio is appropriate for you.
As always, we love keeping you informed about loc maintenance and healthy hair. If you have any questions about loc extensions that we didn't cover here, please reach out to us.
Order the following products and give your locs the love that they need!